So another note while I clear my head at work. This is a note on NOISE. I used to live in this apartment that was super-cute. The interior was of a Tudor-esque design with a faux fireplace and wooden beams. I liked my tiny little apartment very much. When I first moved in, the surrounding trees in the complex made excellent noise-blockers and life was quiet, save for the occasional laughter across the way at late hours on random nights. I'm not sure what happened after my first field season while living in that place. (Field season being when I went to work on projects and was gone for weeks at a time.) Upon my return, things became frequently noisy as well as disturbing. I had never really known my neighbours, nor made much of an attempt to.
One night, the police were at my door. They asked if I knew of anyone in the building who smoked pot. My initial thought was What, do you want some? Mind you, I have never had nor will I ever have even the desire to do any sort of drug, even as harmless as marijuana. At any rate my boyfriend (now my Fiance) and I were baffled and I told him no. He asked if I ever smelled anything weird in the halls to which I replied "I've smelled a lot of weird things in this hall but I wouldn't know the smell of pot if you waved it in my face." He prodded with a few more questions and finally let us be. My boyfriend and I stepped to the kitchen and burst out with laughter. We weren't sure what else to do. What does one do with that? Well we went back to our Chinese food and watching Black Adder when a short while later, there was another knock. It was the policeman again. His partner was with him, looking annoyed and bored. He told me they had heard us laughing and thought it was odd we laugh at the situation. I told him I thought it was odd that a policeman stopped at my door and asked if I knew of anybody in the building that smokes pot. He asked to come in. I let him. I have nothing to hide, why was he bothering me? He pressed a few more prodding questions before turning the conversation to idle chitchat and taking leave.
This should have made me get out of the apartment then and there. I mean, really? What did he hope to accomplish? At any rate, the police sightings at this complex became more frequent to the point where it no longer surprised me and barely so when I came home to the fire truck. The apartment katty corner from mine had caught fire. Finally, this past Christmas, I came home from vacation and found that the neighbour right next to me was "boom-booming" his music 24/7. All hours of the day, all night...all of the time. Constant bass coming through my bedroom wall and vibrating my floors. My landlord would do nothing. Calling the police barely helped. I finally moved out. Since then, my noise tolerance has been ZIP. I cannot stand noisy things. Even the tiniest little background noise. The Boom-Boom man literally stole some of my sanity. Now I am at work and people are constantly talking in the lab. I wish to throw rolled up newspapers. That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment