04 June, 2012

Brain = Ham Sandwich

So at work, yet again and I have the attention span of a ham sandwich. 

I think I shall muse upon other things while I try to work up the motivation to continue my archives tasks.

Let us muse of the Byzantine Empire.  This has to be one of my favourite periods of time, yet it was so short lived.  The artwork from this time period astonishes me to no end.  The works during the age of Justinian catch my attention in particular, when he rebuilt many of the religious establishments.  However, the Icons captured throughout the entire Byzantine Empire amaze me.  I have met with multiple people who cannot stand this sort of work and their reasoning has usually been that they eyes bother them.  Personally, I think the eyes hold a deep reflection of things ancient in that "I'm kind of bored" sort of way.  All kidding aside, I think it would be safe to say that I find the beauty of Byzantine art to lie within the intricate simplicity of the style.  Such detail portrayed in such a simplistic manner!  My heart is drawn to the many fascinations of this time period and I hope I may later on learn more of its mysteries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment