26 July, 2012

Death...Death is coming...Death is here...

Anyone watch the IT Crowd?  If not, please do.  Such a great show.

Anyway, I just realized something.  You know all those times when you find yourself watching/reading something and the author kills off the most jovial, life-filled character?  The one who is more than just comedic relief?  That awesome character who is so innocent, so alive, so incredibly wonderful and suddenly and most tragically, DEAD?  You know how you hate them for it? (At least hate them in a good way or something.)  I'm killing off three.  I have three characters like that (three separate stories) and I am killing them.  I am seriously so angry with myself but at the same time the other part of me (which is somehow evil, I guess?) is cheering me on and saying "you couldn't have written that better!"

Now honestly, I remember when I got to the fifth Harry Potter book.  I cried.  I threw the book.  Yes that right.  I threw it!  That book deserves abuse.  I mean, who kills off Sirius Black?  He is positively the BEST character in the series and all you give him is this lame death that serves no other purpose than to give Harry more angst?!  Because we all know that Harry Potter needed more angst.  I mean I am all for killing off characters and pissing my reader off in a good way (in that they are attached to said character and feel so strongly about their death) but come on, lady!  I can't even bring myself to open any of the other books now.  It's been years since that dumb book came out too!  (I cheated.  I read them on Wikipedia and was told by a friend.)  Then only to have Gary Oldman (one of the greatest actors of all time) play him in the movies.  Who kills off Gary Oldman?  (I suppose plenty of people because I haven't seen all of his films, but still.)  Gary Oldman is awesome as it is.  Transform him into Sirius Black and you have double the awesomeness.  You killed it Ms. Rowling!  You killed the awesomeness!  **Insert sobbing here!**

In all seriousness though, I hope I have somebody ranting about at least one of these characters deaths the way I rant about Sirius Black.  I truly hope that my characters can inspire such a love in my readers.  Is that not something all writers strive for?  If not strive, then at least secretly hope?  Please mourn the loss of my character tonight whose name I shall not mention so I don't spoil the whole thing.  If you know who I am referring to because you have either just read it, or you are somehow inside my head you may say a few words if you like.  But join with me now, in a moment of silence. 

..........

Very nice.  Thank you.  *Wipes tears.*  That was good.  Good wake, everybody. 

No comments:

Post a Comment