21 August, 2012

The Funeral

Firefly fans anyone?  Ever listen to the soundtrack.  That's what is playing on my iPod right now...the track is called "The Funeral" and it is one of my favourite tracks ever.  Tracks like this have a million and one uses and are not limited to one particular story.

Has anyone ever thought it would be fun to make a movie and sync it completely to another movie's score just to see if it could be done?  Don't get me wrong, I do find it a bit annoying when I watch a film and hear the score from another being used.

A good example of this is when music from the 13th Warrior was randomly thrown into the Kingdom of Heaven film.  Having not yet gotten the score to Kingdom of Heaven, but being well on my way to, I suddenly felt like I should be watching Vladimir Kulich spouting a made-up viking prayer-thing and Antonio Banderas playing an Arab.  (Which, fyi, Banderas was totally sporting the eye-liner long before Jack Sparrow.)  I found myself eagerly sifting through the credits and found that sure enough, they'd used a track from the 13th Warrior.  Did I mind, in the long run?  Not really, but you wrote an entire score for the rest of the film but this one track was taken?  Am I the only one who finds this weird?

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.  I write my stories while listening to music (90% of which are scores) and I can play some scenes perfectly in my head to said score.  I just wonder if you took...oh, say...the Pirates of the Caribbean score (first film) and wrote a movie that took place in space.  Completely different plot and all...so no space-pirates or anything.  (Although space pirates are frakking awesome.)  Take the score and listen to the track "Skull and Crossbones".  I can totally see a big battle going on between two kick-ass space ships.  The good-guys' ship is a cross between Serenity (Firefly) and the Daedalus(Stargate).  The bad guys...meh, throw a Klingon ship in with something similar to the Necromongers from Riddick, and call it a day.  Now imagine that fight and the dialog between the crew as you will.  The hero/heroine on the good ship uses some super-cool technology to jump them into hyperspace at the last minute so they escape and they end up in a very strange and unknown part of the universe but safe and sound.

Okay, so that is one scene but you get what I am saying.  Seriously, try it!  If you don't have the score, just YouTube it.  It'll be there.  Imagine it how you will and you'll see what I am getting at.  You can take the scores and do anything with them.  So I think it would be interesting (ONE TIME AROUND) to see a movie completely coreographed to another film's score.  The only bad thing is, that if some blundering yahoo figures out that recycling scores was cheaper or something, there would be no new scores and movies would go downhill fast. 

Well, I think that is all for now.  Just musing, late at night, not wanting to go to bed.  On one last "score" note:  I purchased the score to Snow White and the Huntsman recently.  I might be a fan of Kristen Stewart (using that term loosely) if she learned the meaning of the word EXPRESS.  Her facial features never change.  I wonder if that is from plastic surgery?  Maybe too much?  No.  I am being mean and I digress.  Haven't seen the movie and I don't really mind if I ever do.  (I'll probably rent it someday or watch it on Netflix.)  Anyway, I just wanted to say that despite what anyone feels about the movie, they need to give that score a chance (if you love movie scores).  James Newton Howard is probably my favourite composer for scores and has yet to disappoint me.  The man is brilliant when it comes to scores but only seems to get movies that don't do very well.  Something is wrong with this.

Well, thanks and goodnight all!  Happy Space-Pirating!!

1 comment:

  1. James Newton Howard is positively BRILLS. The man is a genius. In fact, all week I've been listening to The Bourne Legacy soundtrack (my latest obsession). Nothin' like writing to a film score. Don't even try, pop radio!

    ReplyDelete