You know, you watch some kind of comedy, whatever kind you fancy, and you laugh like crazy. Sure, some of that is the script, but what about the rest of it? A lot goes into comedy. Sometimes the show is mildly funny and you laugh a little here and there. But what about when she show is so side-splitting hilarious that you have tears in your eyes and anyone in the house thinks you're going mad? It has to be more than just the writing. The right actors, the right set, the right costume...you have to get it all just right. I have found the comedy which is perfect for me. FATHER TED.
This show has just the right ingredients. The right actors, the right costumes, and the right writing. I have tears in my eyes from this, I laugh so hard. I have to worry about the neighbours thinking I've gone off the edge I laugh that loud. That is a good comedy.
And from this show, I have developed a great desire for a Dougal plushie. I suppose I could make one. Any suggestions on this? I heart Father Dougal McGuire so much!
Well, enough on that...because I could go on for ages.
I have written parts in my stories that I find comedic. Some of them even cause me to laugh almost as loud as I do when I watch this show. Sometimes I just chuckle. However, it is worriesome when writing comedy. Just because I find something hilarious doesn't mean my reader will. So much of my consideration while writing is ensuring the reader feels what I intend them to feel.
Now, I'm not trying to force the reader to feel something in particular, it is more the sort of thing that if I write the death of a certain character, I am intending they feel sad. So much goes into that. You can't force a reader into feeling anything for any one part of your book.
This isn't the part where I am going to go on and say how it requires talent and all that sort of bollocks. No. I'm getting at how nerve wracking it is. How do the professionals do it? How do they pull it off? For those of us struggling to be writers or whatever, how can we ever achieve that? Surely some of it is talent, but what about practice? Practice surely makes one better. Criticism has to play a good role in that as well. If our work was never criticized we'd never be able to improve. If we don't improve, our chances of getting recognized will go down.
Okay. Now I am rambling. I'm enthralled with Father McGuire again. It's not even about his looks. I just love Dougal. Watch FATHER TED and you'll love him too!

Sometimes the best is when the reader reacts to something that you never expected them to react to, or in a way in which you never expected them to react. For example: "Wow, I'm impressed!"
ReplyDeleteOkay, you had to know I was going to go there. :)
Comedy is tricky. I often feel that anything funny I write is accidental.
I giggle every time I hear somebody say they're impressed.
DeleteThat is true. It becomes hard though when I am laughing my posterior off at something I've written and I can't help but hope the readers laugh too.