At any rate, I am going hiking this afternoon with my dog, a friend, and her dog. Super excited.
Life is going well. Tired at work. Tired over all. But still, life is good.
As for writing, I have yet again come up with various new ideas that distract me from finishing my already-in-progress works.
So here it is. I am going to put a poll to the left about which two to focus on next. In this blog I will describe various projects I think have great potential and will focus on two of them. (It will really be three, total, as I am going to continue fixing Stolen Child, but since that one is "finished," it doesn't count.) So here they are, in no particular order other than the one that came to my head FIVE to choose from.\
This is the first in a two part series: Book of Seas and Book of Lands (or Book of Places).
Judas is the son of a prominent merchant in Suyria (a totally made up city somewhere near the island of Syracuse.) Long ago, his Father betrayed a political rival and the family of Judas' one love. Lost to the seas, Judas forever sails in search of bringing her home. Upon his father's death bed, he learns of a secret from ancient days and the curse of two families torn in time. Obeying the last request of his father, Judas inherits a treasure of the ages that will lead him to the secret of his father's sins.
What is awesome about this story: This story takes place during the Byzantine Empire. It has Byzantine/Greek ships and PIRATES. I was wanting to do a "pirate" story, but thought that pirates like Jack Sparrow, while incredibly hot and awesome, are overdone. Pirates have been around for ages. I also thought that seeing as there was some mystical aspect to the story, it would be fun to put it into ancient times, so why not my favourite era of time ever?
Issues with this story: Like so many of my stories, I can't figure out this one's purpose...or exactly what it is they're hunting. Where do the sword-maps lead them? What secret is there to find? I'm leaning towards a biblical aspect on this, but haven't figured out exactly where they're going yet. I only know the journey. Perhaps the destination will come with time.
Most inspiring song -
This is a one part story inspired by a Loreena McKennitt song (like so much of my work) and my love of all things Regency. (And yet I've never read Jane Austen.)
Nash has been away from his home for years. Legally, he has been declared dead. Now his father is ill and he must return. When he returns, he finds himself employed in the services of his childhood love. Realizing that neither of their love has died over the years and with marriage to another childhood friend impending, does he step forward and reclaim his fortune or allow her life to move forward unhindered?
What is awesome about this story: Regency. Is there more awesomeness than that? Well, also: Nash is played by Tom Hiddleston in my head with his competition, Nicholas, played by Adrian Paul.
VERSUS
My heart can't take it.
Issues with this story: Once again, I have a list of things I know will happen, but the end result is making me tear my hair out. I love this story very much. This is one of my favourite stories. I have a million ways I could go, but I don't know how to end it.
Most inspiring song -
The "Old West" Story on the coast of Maine
This is taking place during the 1800sish in a small town on the coast of Maine, starring Jeremy Irons and Karl Urban.
In the past - John Dakota and Wyatt Storm have been friends for ages. Wyatt the outgoing go-getter and John the strict, maybe-I'll-bend-the-rules-just-this-once lawman. With the impending arrival of the yearly storm that hits this town, John and Wyatt find themselves torn between the mysterious Elza.
In the Future - Dakota Hill and Wyatt Horn have been friends for ages. Wyatt the outgoing go-getter and Dakota the strict, maybe-I'll-bend-the-rules-just-this-once lawman. With the impending arrival of the yearly storm that hits this town, Dakota and Wyatt find themselves once again torn between the mysterious Elza.
History repeats itself.
What is awesome about this story: Westerns! Maine! Curse! I actually know how it will end! I like this story for the friendship between Wyatt and John (Wyatt and Dakota, take your pick). It was inspired by a Gaelic Storm song on their new album Boathouse. Damn good album. At any rate, I like the story between the two a lot. I know where it will go and it has good potential.
Issues with this story: I still haven't worked out some of the curse details. For instance, the curse is caused by a witch, it has something to do with Elza, who, SPOILER, is not the witch, and jealousy. That's about all I have. So while I have the details and the ending, I don't have the MEAT, so to speak.
Most inspiring song unavailable - Sorry.
Visit www.gaelicstorm.com to find it.
A story about what guardian angels really are and about their struggles and finding the truth of your feelings and yourself.
Asriel and Neri are descendants of the Nephilim. Many of these descendants choose the lives of being Guardians. They push or pull us in the right direction according to His Will. They help in times of need. However, there are strict rules. Compassion and Love are standard needs, however, relationships are forbidden. Asriel realizes that his emotions for Neri will lead him on a path from God and chooses to "fall". This is a choice given to any guardian to be taken at any time. A guardian may choose to lead this life and be given a mortal life, full of sin but with the chance to follow Christ as any mortal has. Knowing that the alternative falls (those without choice) rarely lead back to Grace, Asriel leaves Neri and looks to a mortal life.
Heartbroken and torn by her own feelings, Neri remains. On a happenstance mission, she sees Asriel in his mortal life being pulled far from Grace. Out of guilt and fear, she pursues a path that could lead to her own destruction in order to bring Asriel back to Grace.
What is awesome about this story: It seems like your typical City of Bones/Twilight story. Trying to not be that, however. This is my opportunity to open up about faith and life's choices. SPOILER - She won't get together with Asriel. It isn't about that. God calls her to other things. This book has some good potential, in my opinion.
Issues with this story: Again I have an ending and no beef. I know where she will end up. I know things that need to happen. But not entirely sure about the road to get there.
Most inspiring music -
This is my viking gods story I created a long time ago and the one that has been the defining moment of my writing, so to speak. It is the story that prompted so many others.
Rinoa (name subject to change) is the daughter of archaeologists who ran a dig near the town of Idavoll, Norway. When they died, she passed to the care of her creeper cousin David. Desperate to follow in the footsteps of her parents, Rinoa does everything she can to follow their work.
She has been to Idavoll many times. Something is different this year. Something is different in the air. After Rinoa meets a charismatic man going by the name Dirk Vali she becomes even more intrigued with him and his brother Vidar. After learning from the grocer that Vidar was the one to pull her from the well and allow for her parents to adopt her, she begins a journey to the realization of just who and what she really is.
What is awesome about this story: Vikings. Viking Gods. Do I have to say more than that? Yes...ARCHAEOLOGY! There are all sorts of things going on here that rock. The initial story was "finished" but I was making a second round to weed out all of the inconsistencies and Mary Sue tendencies. The second round was proving awesome.
Issues with this story: So I know that no matter how hard we try, there are always plot holes. Whatevs. I'm just trying to avoid gaping ones. Many of these fall into the "Whys" and the "What purpose does that character serve?" So it needs work.
Most inspiring song -
Well, there you have it! Consider carefully! Vote, and please comment and let me know what you think and why!







It's all very pretty. However, the italic font is so small I can't read it.
ReplyDeleteLooking good, though.
Thanks for letting me know! I made the text bigger, let me know if that looks better. I'm going for a "Shabby Chic" look overall to tie into the cool Regency pics, but want people to be able to read.
DeleteI like it! But, like Roger, I had trouble reading some of it - the titles are really hard to read! If I hadn't read this in Feedly first, I don't think I'd have been able to decipher it. But the rest of it I love. :)
DeleteOh, also - I'm not sure your poll recorded my answers. So in case it didn't, I say Idavoll, Regency, and "Old West." Because those sounded awesome (and what I read of Idavoll was, in fact, awesome). :D
DeleteI will check into that. It is all about getting things in order. Check it out here now. I fixed some of the script to see if this works better. I'll check the poll too.
Delete