28 September, 2012

Weekend

What is a weekend?  I hear that it is this wonderful time that people take to enjoy time from work.  I don't have that.  I get home from work and I go to other work.  :P  I also hear there is this wonderful thing called sleep.  I'd like to try that sometime.

At any rate, I move on.

I am thinking of beginnings for Book of Seas.  You know something annoying about my writing?  I can always think of random scenes within the story, random parts that connect somehow, but I hate trying to come up with the filler.  I always can't help but think "Oh man.  People are going to be so frakking bored by this part and they'll put it down!"  Don't you ever wonder that?

What is it that keeps a good story going?  Is there some formula? 

I have heard multiple things about writing and techniques and not all of them ring truth to me.  So I use what I can but in the long run I don't think good writing has any one way that makes it great. 

Rewind a minute to high school English class.  I remember my literature teacher going over "How to write a fiction story."  Wow.  She was dead set on this being the way you had to do it or your story would fail.  Now don't get me wrong.  There were some good tips in there somewhere, but honestly I don't think you can't rope most imaginations and force them to follow a certain structure.  I know this is very true of mine.  My imagination doesn't even listen to me sometimes.

To illustrate.  I was creating a story in my head for my own enjoyment.  This is also known as daydreaming.  My day dream was about some romance with a television character (I think from Firefly...or Stargate. One of those.) and there was this super sweet moment where my Mary Sue and this character (I want to say it was Daniel Jackson, but this was a long time ago.) were professing their feelings but in an unspoken way.  Suddenly mercenaries attack (or was it wraith?  G'ould? The Alliance?).  What?!  I didn't put this in here!  Why are they interrupting my wonderful moment??  Seriously!  It was frustrating.  But for whatever reason my imagination took control and wanted to spice up the story.  Perhaps it had to do with the music I was listening to.

Anyway, I just think that my English teacher was wrong to make it seem like if you didn't have this structure to a fiction story you won't write a good one.  Now, if she had taken more the "These are the elements you need to consider when writing, here is one way of structuring your thoughts on the matter." approach, I would have listened.  (Maybe.)

It wasn't that great of a structure anyway.  If I remember correctly, I believe it had the characters and their backgrounds coming before the plot.  What kind of structure is that?  It took me ages to come up with actual characters and their backgrounds.  For Stolen Child, I spent hours on Snowberry's name alone.  The archivist didn't even get a name because I thought it fun to not give him one even though he's a fairly important person.

Well, at this point I look at the clock, am satisfied with the time and will now go to bed.  Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful night/day/morning/afternoon/weekend and may you actually get your weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment