So I had a dream, the likes of which I have before, where my boss, myself, and a few of my Archaeological colleagues discovered something cool. This time we were in muddy mountains and discovered a secret city. Pretty cool huh? My boss thought so too. His response was "Cool! Write a story about it so I can read it."
Crap.
Double crap.
Triple crap.
A large portion of pig dookie with a side of horse crap.
Do you realize what this means? It means that while I am supposed to be working on Book of Seas and touching up Stolen Child, I am now pounding away something new. Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the large amounts of what I deem AWESOMENESS that is being produced from this. However, I have other things I need to do...such as finish writing those blasted thank yous for my shower.
Oh well. You know what? I WANT to write. I want to produce something incredibly awesome. I hope that this turns into something really cool and that maybe I can submit it. We will see.
I know I have spoken about how music inspires me and how I constantly find new music to write to but this time it is killing me! The music I have been using to inspire this mostly comes from Lisa Gerrard's album The Mirror Pool. It also reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft. So a lot of my influences for this story are coming from Lovecraft's short stories...particularly the Nameless City. The mystery surrounding his works is exactly the sort of environment I wish to create with this new story.
I have absolutely no clue where this story will lead and who will live and who will die. Considering that these people are my co-workers I am a little concerned what I do with the characters that are slightly reflecting them. On one hand, I just can't see a character living or remaining so with their sanity intact with this kind of theme. On the other hand, I don't want them to kill me.
Choices choices. Lets be honest here? How many of our characters draw upon elements of those around us? We certainly put ourselves into our own stories...what about others?
No comments:
Post a Comment